Back From Hiatus

This is the blog formerly known as Political Moose -- with a new color.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hi, I'm Alli

Well, as you may have guessed from my clever title, I'm Alli. I have also blogged from time to time, and share a couple of parents with Moose. He invited me to contribute to his blog, and I thought it would be fun. Just so you know, I am not a green. That's right... I'm a dem, and I love Al Gore. Deeply. If you haven't seen the sketch he did on SNL, in which he played out the alternate ending to the 2000 elections, you need to.
I did want to post tonight about Israel and Lebanon. John Bolton today vetoed a resolution at the U.N. that would have called for the removal of Israeli troops from the Gaza strip and that condemned the bombing of civilians and infrastructure in Lebanon, including the Beirut airport, as too extreme. He vetoed the resolution even though it had already received ten votes of approval from other U.N. members. The U.S. has vetoed resolutions that would call for restraint from Israel an astonishing number of times. This comes just before the G8 summit and while the pres. is in Europe courting the EU, a strong supporter of Palestinian rights. This means that America is further polarized not from the Arab nations in the middle east, but also from countries that we need to cultivate as allies. Our government needs to weigh the costs of allowing Israel to act without restraint, and without compromise, we can continue to support Israel but also hold them to an expectation of just conduct.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:07 AM, Blogger Mark said…

    I really believe Israel might have started world war 3. It's only a matter of time now before the other Arab states get into this, if you consider Hamas and Hezbollah international organizations than you can say this is already beginning. The U.S. is going to be put into a very awkward position.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would have loved and respected Al Gore more if he had done what Obrero in Mexico is doing. He should have challenged the stolen election and refused to quit. Same for Kerry.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home